I am in LONDON and LOVING it. I thought I never wanted to leave Nantes, but now maybe I never want to leave London. I will give just a quick update on my week last week (my French buddy Lea was at school…), and a quick update on my first couple of days in London…but I get to be here for a week! (No photos b/c I don’t have my picture-loader to computer tool. I will upload when I get back to Nantes.)
Monday: I had a couple of girlfriends from IES over for watching the definitely well acclaimed film “New York Minute” by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen dubbed in French! I also made banana bread and homemade applesauce! Then, Monday night I had my first volunteer group and it was so fun. It is kind of hard to explain WHAT exactly I am doing, BUT it is basically a group where anyone is welcome and about 4 refugees came and about 3 other volunteers. We just talked for the first hour and I think it is just a way for them to get to be with people who have careers, and established lives and to interact. The second hour is devoted to something more cultural. For example, we watched a DVD of a French comedian, and next week we are going to give them lessons on using the computer. It is super fun, the other volunteers and refugees are so welcoming and nice, and it is great for my French!
Tuesday: After conversation club returned to my favorite creperie, “Creperie St. Croix” for another delicious seafood crepe.
Wednesday: Lea’s parents are SO wonderful and invited me over for dinner and a movie, even though Lea was not there! Katrine, her mom, made REAL FRENCH tuna Nicoise salad and it was delcious. Then, we went to “Miller’s Crossing” with French subtitles because there was a Cohen brothers film festival in Nantes! Then, when the movie was over (which was about 2 minute walk from their house), we returned to their home for dessert. We chatted (in French, of course) until about midnight and then they so kindly drove me home! They are fabulous!
Thursday: Well, I was a little disappointed because I tried to go to this Christian youth group that I had found out about. Some of the other IES girls were going, but I had to eat dinner with my host family so I was going to meet up with them. I ended up leaving my house at 8pm and iddn’t get there until 9pm (it goes until about 10pm). One of the girls told me it was just right there when you get off the tram, so I didn’t look into it. But, in fact, it was down the street and behind…I looked all around (in a kind of sketchy dark neighborhood), couldn’t find it, called them, no one picked up, so I returned home flustered and upset. But, I got to cozy up in bed and read HP…
Friday: Lea returned Friday ~6pm, so when she got home we went to the cinema and saw “He’s Just Not That Into You” dubbed in French. I was THRILLED when I left the cinema because I understood almost everything and I didn’t even have to think about it. Not that it is a deep plot, but still, it is a step in the language learning direction. Then, we returned for the THIRD time in the week to my little creperie, this time had a mussels and tomato crepe, and then we went to “Lieu Unique” which is the bar/dance place/cafĂ©/hang out for late teens/20-somethings in Nantes. Stayed there until past midnight and then crashed at home.
Saturday: Happy Valentines Day to me. No one here celebrates like the states. It is really just a day for “lovers.” I was a little disappointed because I love any reason to celebrate, but I had made Valentines for my favorite profs and host family and friends…trying to put a little spirit into the day. AND, my Papa J and Mama J sent me the bEST homemade Valentines. Steve Juergens is QUITE the artist! But, although they don’t celebrate here, I did get to go to London on Saturday so it wasn’t all bad…We have a week of winter break! Wohoo! There were 7 other IES girls on my flight, which was fun. The only problem was that I did decide to check a bag on Ryanair, but there was a weight limit of 15kg and I didn’t know that. Mine was 18kg (or 45 EUROS extra for the weight) so I embarrassingly repacked (I had put my lacy pink underwear on TOP and thus had to unpack that) my bag to move all my books to my carryon. I made it with 14.9kg. I am a little worried about coming back, because you always CONSUME more when you travel. Well, I finally got to Marianna and Pat’s (my European parents…my parent’s from the states bestest friends who are living in London, right near Hyde Park, for 3 years, and have so wonderfully embraced me into their family and accepted me as their daughter for the week!). Marianna had hot soup and homemade applesauce waiting for me and then we literally walked across the street and went to the pub for a hard apple cidar. I didn’t realize how much I needed a hug from someone who loved me. It is so nice to be in a welcome (and warm) home and have parents who love you!!! I am just in heaven here.
Sunday: I got to sleep in (they prayed for me at church…) then we set out for an afternoon at the National Gallery where the lovely impressionists are and where I spent the majority of my time. Then, we walked around the area, and Convent Gardens, and popped into a pop for a late afternoon rest-up! So civilized! We returned home and Marianna and Pat’s two girlfriends from San Fransisco were there (they left this morning) so that was fun to have all of us there. After meeting, greeting, having some happy hour, we set out for a wonderful Indian/Persian restaurant. We had a cozy and delicious dinner filled with delicious na’an (that we got to watch them make in the clay oven). Last night I got to talk to Karina (my bestie from school) on the phone for an HOUR, for the first time since going to Europe, so that was a treat. And my papa too!
Monday: Since Pat works for the US government here, he had the day off (he gets British and American holidays!) I went running this morning and tried to go to just Hyde Park and back, but alas, I kind of didn’t look very well at the map, and although I pride myself on my sense of direction, this time my pride suffered. I saw a little more of London than I wanted and ran a little longer than expected! When I finally returned home we visited the British Museum. All I wanted to see were the Elgin marbles from the Parthenon and right as we arrived, their was an ancient Rome tour leaving so we had an excellent guided tour of it all! Then, we had lunch at EAT, a really good soup/sandwich chain, then hit the Tate and Albert Museum which specializes in fashion and materials! Then, we rode the bus home, which is just so fun to look out everywhere…and went to another pub for another pint! We returned HOME (a real warm lovely home) and Marianna made the most FABULOUS dinner of salmon cakes with tomato sauce, wonderful sweet potatoes, and caramelized brown sugar Brussels sprouts. Yum, yum, yum…I am being treated like a true princess!
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment