Friday April 3, 2009: Lea and I took the train to Paris and arrived at 10:30pm, took a 15 minute cab ride to the 13th arrondissment where he dad’s cousins kid (or some random relative connection…), who is married and is expecting their first kid in one month, welcomed us (he, David, has never met Lea) into their VERY chic apartment that had an extra room with two extra beds for us. It was perfect and wonderful-and free! Oh, and did I mention that I had a view of the SEINE from our bedroom!
Saturday April 4, 2009: After running along the River Seine and watching the sun glisten on the water, and after a French breakfast with our new friends (our hosts) David and Claire, we set out for about 8 hours STRAIGHT of wondering the city. We walked everywhere and saw everything. It was a walk down memory lane for me as I spent my whole summer in Paris. We spent time in all the neighborhoods, poking in boulangeries and shops, and visiting all the gardens. Then, Saturday night (we got home about 8pm, took a quick crashing nap for 45 minutes) was the real fun! Claire and David had about 10 of their very bobo chic Parisian (30 year yuppies, in English!) friends over for evening of excellent food and lots of drinking. They invited us to join them and of course we accepted. It was so fun, and also really reaffirming of my language as I could understand everything that was being discussed (politics, economics, kids, movies, jobs) at a very fast-paced, energized paced…They were all super nice to me also, and about midnight, after enough to drink, we got on the subject of Obama, which is always a popular topic with foreigners. It was a perfect evening!
Sunday April 5, 2009: We spent the morning at the ANDY WARHOL exhibit at the Grand Palais. We had bought tickets two months in advance, and thank goodness, because if not, we would have waited in line for two hours. It is a temporary exhibit and very complete. Then we wondered to the biggest outdoor market in Paris, Marche Bastaille, which was my favorite place from this summer, and bought lunch and tasted all the fruit and goodies! Then we wondered in the Marais, the Jewish district that is very trendy now, and where it is happening on Sundays because it is the only place where shops can be open. The streets are super narrow and the stores are REALLY chic---very fun to wonder there. Then, we met up with three of my Whitman friends who are doing IES Paris for a coffee. It was really fun to see them and exchange experiences of life in France…For dinner Lea and I got suckered into a bad tourist trap restaurant, but in a fun part of town (near St. Michel) because things really aren’t open Sunday night. BUT, the night was saved by our TWO hour dessert: this was the best. We went to this sit-down creperie that I went to once this summer. Over the two hours (of delightful conversation and delcious food and fun waiters) we each devoured two GIANT crepes (mine were both nutella and banana), plus a taste of the waiter’s favorite that isn’t even on the menu (this caramel/nut mixture) PLUS the extra leftover of these people we met sitting next to us who were friends with the restaurant and had this mélange of baby crepes made special for them. Let’s just say we really wanted to roll home. But it was well-worth it. Oh, and the best part was the waiter. SO, I am always thirsty, especially with two GINORMOUS sweet crepes, so I keep asking for more water. At the end, finally brought me this GIANT beer mug, filled with ice and water, and said “Here you go…” It was a fun night!




Monday, April 6, 2009: This morning we wondered more, soaking up the sun. We also visited the REAL “Bon Marche”-a 8 story Parisian department store and got free makeovers there! Then, we parked it on a sunny sidewalk, like real Parisians, in an outdoor café where you really pay for your location. Then in the afternoon I went to the airport to catch my 6:30pm flight to ATHENS. I arrived at 11pm and guess who was at the gate (or as close as you can get now…) to MEET ME! MY PARENTS! It was SO wonderful to be held and loved by them. So perfect. And, the hotel we were at (which we arrived at about midnight) was PALACIAL. There were two giant bathrooms, hallways, couches, huge rooms, all for us…it was crazy! I just wanted to talk, talk, talk, BUT we were all very tired…
Tuesday, April 7, 2009: We didn’t waste anytime. Mommy had booked a guided tour to Delphi so we got up early and got on the tour bus. It was actually really cool! We got to see Attica surrounding Athens, as well as DELPHI and all of the ruins. It really blows you away to think how they built it, up on this huge hill, so long ago without technology. We also got to go to the museum and see some pieces that I had studied in my Greek Art and Art History class. Then, we had a lavish lunch or Greek specialties. Everyone else had some sort of meat dish for their entrée, but I told the guy that I was vegetarian but I eat fish…well, you have to understand that you could SEE the water from the restaurant, and that fish is specialty of Greece as there are tons of coastlines. He kept telling me “No fish, no fish, you will get vegetables. We are not on the water thus we have no fish.” It was funny…Then, when we finally got back to Athens (SO much traffic), Dad and I wondered the (dirty) streets to get a feel for the city, then we all went out to dinner at this really good (Lonely Planet recommended) local restaurant under the Acropolis! Greek food is good…

Wednesday April 8, 2009: We moved hotels to our CRUISE affiliated hotel, and here we had separate rooms…another palatial hotel with the most COMFY blankets and beds! It was delicious. Then, we went to the Central Market which is HUGE and there are bloody animals EVERYWHERE on one side (so I avoided that), a huge fish market, and fruits and veggies. We got several KILOS of strawberries to accompany lunch which we picnicked in front of the Archeological Museum in the SUNSHINE (which felt SO good…) Then we visited the museum and all of my insightful knowledge from my Greek Art History class came to life and I was able to tour my parents through the museum!!! The $40,000 liberal arts education finally paid off! Dinner was at this off-the beaten path highly recommended seafood restaurant. The head chef comes out and talks to you about his dishes and really tried to get us to order the WHOLE fish, but I just couldn’t stomach that. Dinner was wonderful, although it was tainted a little by the guy at the table next to us who was celebrating his 90th birthday, and also was in the middle of having a stroke and had to leave…a very sad experience…



Thursday April 9, 2009: We put on our hiking shoes (not literally) this morning and climbed up this mountain in Athens that gives SPECTACULAR views of the whole city. It is like their Space Needle-and you look down on everything, including the Acropolis. Then, after showering, we did the market for fruit and found a vegetarian take out place and picnicked in the National Gardens, a little oasis of clean and peace and quiet that we discovered in Athens. We spent the afternoon picnicking and reading and enjoying one another and the sunshine! Dinner was fabulous (again, thank you Lonely Planet) and we were really at a local trendy spot! The best was this eggplant dip that Mom and I are going to try to recreate when we get home…And then we had chocolate roll cake on the house!

Friday April 10, 2009: The big day! The day of boarding the ship. But first, a bus tour of Athens which included seeing the Olympic Stadium, the agora, Hadrian’s arch, and a couple of hours on the Acropolis-in the face of HISTORY! Then, we finally got to drive down to the port of Piraeus, wait in customs lines, boat lines, lines…but then we GOT ON THE SHIP!!! I had a separate room from my parents and for some reason I really lucked out: I had a HUGE room compared to everyone else-it was like two rooms combined, quite luxious, and not normal for a cruise ship! I explored all over the ship and we set sail for Istanbul, Turkey! Ok, this is how out of it I was. I didn’t even KNOW that we were getting to go to TURKEY on this cruise before today…Oh Maryn, we are going to Istanbul tomorrow, btw…Dinner was fun: every meal has FIVE courses. I am not joking. We have our choices for everything too, and it is all white tablecloths with super attentive and friendly waiters: bread, appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, cheese and fruit, dessert. We were treated like royalty. I could get used to it. And you sit with the people in your tour group. These people ranged from very interesting and people I am going to VISIT one day and one who I have adopted as my grandparent, to others who provided lots of intrigue and mystery to the conversations amongst my family…Tonight’s show was “Mama Mia!!!” showtunes. Here I go again, my my…


Saturday April 11, 2009: Relaxing. Sleeping. Oh, how lovely…I got to sleep in, eat lunch under the sun (and when I say lunch, I mean everything and anything you could possibly want and imagine, including fresh pineapple) by the pool, then have a pink-pedicure, and then watch Istanbul arrive! We docked in the late afternoon in Istanbul and I am telling you, this city is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. It is TOTALLY foreign. We went to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar and spent several hours there. I cannot even tell you in words what it was like. You HAVE to bargain. It is just the way it goes. And everyone is trying to sell you stuff (especially if your name is Steve Juergens, for some reason everyone thinks he wants to buy a Turkish carpet…) and trying to turn a buck. It was actually really fun though and we scored some cool souvenirs. Dinner was back on the boat-again 5 courses-and again, delicious.





Sunday April 12, 2009: The whole day in exotic Istanbul. The only problem with today was that it was cold. I mean cold, but it was the only day of our trip like this. Also, today was very much a tourist, go out see things day. We did all the sights of Istanbul: Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Byzantine hippodome, and the Sunken Palace Cistern. Also, we had about an hour presentation by a carpet dealer who tried HARD and almost sold my parents on a hundreds dollar kiln-it was quite funny to watch them and not even attempt to barter but he just kept lowering the price when they said nothing. It was an experience, but they give you apple tea for free when they invite you into their shop! Captain’s cocktail (free drinks!) followed by formal night (and Easter) for dinner…



Monday April 13, 2009: We sailed overnight to Mykanos, one of the picturesque Greek islands that actually looks exactly like the postcards. We arrived in early afternoon and had all afternoon there to poke around the white houses with different color accents, watch the sun on the water, and take in a real Greek island. We were the first week of tourist season so they were in preparation for tourist season and getting ready before the crowds hit so it was really quiet and peaceful!





Tuesday April 14, 2009: Today was back to Turkey and my first taste of Asia. We got up at 6:30am for our excursion to Ephasis, the ancient city of population 300,000-the city that inspired Paul to write his Letter of Ephesians in the Bible. It was really well preserved and you can get close to it all, unlike at the Acropolis. We had an excellent tour guide, and it really makes me want to read Ephesians again. Then midday we sailed to another Greek island Patmos and arrived their around 4pm. I think it was Bible day because this is the island where John wrote Revelations. We hiked up the cave where we wrote the book and then up to the very top where there is a monastery dedicated St. John which allowed us stunning views. Dinner was GREEK night and everyone wore blue and white and everything on the menu was a taste treat from Greece. Tonight Mama and I had a sleepover together in my room!



Wednesday April 15, 2009: We were in Rhodes all day today (7am-6pm) and it was really nice to take today easy. I got to sleep in, went running along the seaboard in Rhodes, enjoyed a nice relaxing lunch in the sun by the pool with my parents, and then mom and I spent the afternoon in Rhodes together. We walked around the fortified old town and then hit the beach!!! We laid on the hot sand and then actually did go swimming in the Aegean! It was perfect and beachy and Greek islands-picuresque. Tonight, after another fabulous 5 courses, the entertainment was “Enigma: the Magic Show.” Well, I wasn’t very interested in this because I think magic is quite stupid myself, especially bad cruise ship magic. But, we were sitting near the front with our friends Patricia and Eudean (who are a whole different story and one of the highlights of my trip. They are a 70 year old Texas couple and just the nicest. Eudean and I really hit it off and teased each other and we decided by the end that he could be my adopted grandpa…I am going to go visit them in Texas and drive his tractor!) Anyway, this magic show. I was reading the activities for the next day, paying no attention, and in my pj’s (I had changed) and suddenly the spotlight was on me and he had picked me as his participant. No idea he was even looking for one…Well, he whispered in my ear to pretend like I was hypnotized and then he put me on a board and pretended to pull it out from under. It was quite the experience and Dad got a kick out of it, and then for the rest of the cruise I was famous!



Thursday April 16, 2009: Today was beautiful and breathtaking. We started our morning with the arrival in Crete and I ran along the beachy seawall here, in the gorgeous hot sun! Lunch by the pool, reading, and naptime just in time to watch the arrival into Santorini! The movies and postcards do not lie: it really is that magical looking with the white buildings perched on the hillside. My adventurous parents and I decided to hike up the steps, fighting the mules riding up. We walked around the magical village, then had coffee overlooking the setting sun at a café that literally perched on the hillside. It was perfect. This was our last night on the cruise…but the fabulous dinner did not disappoint! It was really sad to say goodbye to all of our new friends though---we really met some cool (and quirky) personalities. Cruising seems to be like a collector’s item for a lot of these people---this was maybe their 9th or 12th cruise or something like that!




Friday April 17, 2009: We had to meet up to disembark at 7:15am so I woke up at 7:09am. Then, bus ride to the hotel where by chance, our rooms were ready!!! I got to nap the morning away in my princess bed. Then, we did the same market picnic in the park with the sun bleeding down (there is not much to do in Athens after 3 days already there we decided…so we relaxed and read and chatted in the sunshine!) Also, today was Good Friday for the Orthodox Christians so everything was closed all morning until 1pm. Then, at night, they close off all the streets and every church carries the tomb of Jesus, adorned with flowers, through the streets, chanting and with bells tolling. We watched this at night, but before we had our last supper right on the steps of the Acropolis in the touristy Plaka, but in an IDEAL location, and enjoyed some delicious calamari. It was such a fabulous vacation…I never wanted to leave the islands, but more importantly I didn’t want to leave my parents-we had SUCH a wonderful time together. And now I am only here in France for another month, kind of a weird transition-transition-transition throw around.



Anyway, Saturday morning was a 3am France time wakeup so I am exhausted and ready to pass out after a full day of plane, 6 hours in Charles deGaulle airport, and train ride…
No comments:
Post a Comment